Did you know you could increase the life of your forklift battery by over 40% with proper care and maintenance? Forklift batteries are designed for long life, even given the significant usage levels they are put under each time they are in use. However, its up to you to ensure that proper charging occurs so that the battery performs as how it was designed to do. If you are constantly neglecting your forklift, it will only increase your expenses.
The Do's & Dont's of Recharging/Charging
- For every 5-10 charge cycles, you should select the weekend charge option. Each battery benefits from this by keeping the cell voltages even and in line.
- Charge the battery at the end of each 8 hour shift of if it is discharged more than 30%
- Make sure to always charge a battery in a well-ventilated area
- Do discharge the battery beyond 80%. By doing this, you are significantly reducing the life expectancy of your battery
- Do not let a dead battery sit there for extended periods. This will eventually reduce the run time and the life of your battery
- Do not charge your battery during random breaks. Each charge costs a cycle. If you charge your battery twice a day you'll get the number of maximum cycles, but your battery will die in 2.5 years instead of 5.
- Once the battery is charging, keep it there. Allow the charge to finish and do not remove it
When dealing with fluid levels in your forklift battery, there are a couple things you want to keep in mind. Water plays a very important role in maintaining the health of your battery. During a normal cycle, the water gets heated and splits into it's two different components, hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen gets released at the negative plate and oxygen at the positive one. With time, water levels will decrease, and the plates will become exposed to air, making them dry which can cause permanent damage. Keep in mind to check water levels every 10 or so charges for the first few years (if it's a reconditioned battery, you may need to do this every 5 charges).
If your battery is beyond repair along with your forklift, it may be time you invest in a new one. At Integrity Lift Service, we offer affordable used forklifts and have helped customers across Michigan find the right used forklift for their needs. Contact us today at 734-838-1970.